Thursday, November 18, 2010

Vetta RT 77 Cycle computer mini-review

Ever since my old cycle computer fell off on my commute home in the middle of winter I've been on the lookout for another cheap cycle computer to replace it. This time I wanted cadence as well as apparently this is an area that newbie riders should focus on a bit.


I bided my time so for a computer that came along in my price range but unfortunately no free ones presented them selves so I eventually settled on an a Vetta RT 77 which I picked up from Torpedo7.com for the princely sum of $17 and it is still avaliable for that price.

It is basic but has the following features:
  1. Current speed
  2. Average speed
  3. Maximum speed
  4. Speed comparator
  5. Cumulative odometer
  6. Trip odometer
  7. 12/24 hour clock
  8. Ride timer
  9. Service timer
  10. Cadence
  11. Average Cadence
  12. Maximum Cadence
  13. Freeze frame memory
  14. Auto start/stop

 Which are pretty much all that a person needs. Mounting ti was easy, just a matter of liberally applying the cable ties that came with it to fasten it all the the appropriate places and keep the cables nice and tidy, the only annoyance is that the cadence lead was quite a bit longer than required so I've had to curl it up and tie it to the down tube, but other than that its pretty good. The manual is a little confusing but really how much do you need it for installation if you know how the computers work, a simple sensor mounted on the frame/fork that is triggered by a magnet mounted to the spokes/pedal.
I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and its pretty good, although I must have missed the average cadence feature, will have to have another play with it when I get home to see where it is. Up until now I've just been leaving it on the cadence display that shows current cadence and current speed. This is great for me as I am working on increasing my cadence.
Also, this seems to have a better clip arrangement than my last computer so it shouldn't fall off as easily.
Overall I am very happy with my purchase and I hopefully this one won't fall off in the dark where I can't find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment