Thursday, November 25, 2010

Election Junk Mail is giving me the shits!

I don't know if you other Victorians are affected like me but so far in this "Election Campaign" I have received way to much personally addressed propaganda for my liking. The optimal amount of course being none. I am quite capable of using the internet and the media saturation to find out everything I need about your polices.

If you're worried about your particular message not getting through perhaps you should consider using your TV and newspaper spots to actually talk about your policy and not just slander the opposition!

In the last month by my count I have received:

  • 2 letters from my local Liberal candidate @clemnewtonbrown
  • 2 letters from my local Labor candidate Tony Lupton
  • 2 letters from the Victorian Electoral Commission politely implying I am to dumb to figure out how to vote.
My FiancĂ©e has also received her fair share as well, for 5 of the 6 letters above we both received the same letter on the same day, with the same pamphlet in it. Such as waste of resources, if you really want to send the things (and you really don't) how about just sending one to the household?

So, lets say that there are 5.5 million Victorians at this point based on there being 5,473,266 in March. Lets assume that around 80% of them are of voting age and lets say that each of them receives 5 letters. That is 22 Million letters that have been sent.

Each letter I've received had a least one A4 sheet within it and of course the envelope, so lets call that 2 sheets of paper, which means 250 letters per ream of paper. So we are using 88 000 reams of paper. Then based on the estimate that each ream of paper uses around 6% of a tree we can estimate that this whole election debacle in this month alone, purely on direct mailed propaganda has consumed 5280 trees.

What a freaking waste! And this doesn't take into account all the other printed election material that piles up all over the place, the how to vote cards that nobody actually uses etc etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment