Monday, October 11, 2010

Where's the app to pause the social stream?

Apparently there was a bit of angst amongst motor sport fans yesterday as Channel 7 'paused' the Bathurst telecast to cram its ads in, Bathurst delay angers viewers.

Now while there a probably many that want to discuss the pains etc of commercial TV and their ad interrupted sports broadcasts I am not going to do that here today. Really I would prefer it paused than to miss something crucial as has been the case in the past and so with that in mind....

This totally highlights an idea that I had, you need to be able to pause and replay your social media streams. This should be a feature in Seesmic or TweetDeck or which ever Twitter or Facebook app that you are using. Ideally as well everyone out there would tag there tweets so you could selectively pause sections of your social media stream.

In this instance it would be great if you could connect to a service that Channel 7 provided that controlled your streams so that when they went to an ad it was paused automatically and resumed at the correct place when you returned.

At the very least Channel 7 and V8 Super cars should provide a page that has the aggregated stream of V8 tweets and updates from the likes of Craig Lowndes and controlled it for you.

To take it further it would be cool if I could record a show on my PVR, say the final of Master Chef and then get a replay of tweets/fb updates when I watch the show, being able to see peoples comments as they make them in relation to the show, having it so the tweets etc where paused and resumed and fast forwarded along with the show on the PVR.

Obviously this is a bit more of a challenge than the initial idea but it should be the ultimate aim. Basically my PVR settings should filter stuff out of my stream for shows that I am recording and then spurt them back out at me when I am watching it. It would be awesome.

The only drawback would not be being able to participate in the conversation, but that is the price of watching a show later and not live.

Also, I'd like to apologise for my Blog Barf earlier today, I clicked publish instead of Save Draft when I just wanted to keep the link for later so I could write up this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment