Friday, October 22, 2010

On a voyage of self discovery

At least, I am attempting to cast off to begin the voyage. I'm tending to think that maybe it is a quarter life crises, but then that would have me living to 112 and that seems a little unlikely.

Anyway, I've to consider what my place in the world is, what I want to be doing in 5 years etc. I guess its probably a result of all the wedding planning that it going on at the moment. In doing this I have procured a host of self improvement, management and investment books.

I've read the first couple of chapters of "The 7 habits of highly effective people" and I am currently half way through Dale Carnegie's classic "How to win friends and influence people". They are the sort of books that tell you the blindingly obvious and you kick yourself for not doing it already.

Today I found out about another book, "The Games People Play" which is apparently  which my old boss recommended as a good study of the consulting industry and large organisations in general.
"An important book . . . a brilliant, amusing, and clear catalogue of the psychological theatricals that human beings play over and over again. The good Doctor has provided story lines that hacks will not exhaust in the next 10,000 years"
which I think just sounds awesomely interesting and I am going to add it to the list.

Also required to go in the list is Senge’s Fifth Disicipline Fieldbook

Does anyone else out there have recommendations for me? I've got a few more at home that I haven't started into yet, but the majority of my book pile currently is focussed towards investing and fiction and well, I've got to get the money before the investing really gets going.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment