Monday, May 17, 2010

A Month of Reader(ing)

So, as of about a month ago I switched to using Google Reader from Bloglines. The main reason I switched? Unexpected glitches and slow loading times on Bloglines. Bloglines was good and I've been using it for a fair while but unlike Google's Beta Apps the reliability was atrocious. At least once a week I would not be able to access it at all. So finally I cracked it and switched over to reader.

And now that I've been using reader I can honestly say I'm never going back. If Bloglines actually worked then the features, in terms of an RSS reader are basically the same. However I've come to appreciate the extra features that Google Reader has, the ability to share and comment on peoples stories via Buzz/Reader and Trends.

Like any self respecting nerd I love stats even if they aren't particularly useful. And also, like pretty much everyone I can think of I have a healthy dose of Narcissism in my. So here is my run down on a month of Reader Trends not trends for feeds, but how I've been reading in the last month.

My Trends
From your 54 subscriptions, over the last 30 days you read 6,673 itemsstarred 3 items,shared 20 items, and emailed 1 items.

As you can see in the last 30 days I've "read" almost 7000 items and shared 20. Not a particularly high conversion rate I must admit but I put this down to the fact that I don't share my feed with many people so I don't see the point in sharing to often. Now I say "read" but really it would be more appropriate to say "read headlines". Now I hate leaving stuff in reader unread (and in my email for that matter as well). But again when I say unread I really mean un"read headlines".

If you check out the table below you'll see that I've "read" almost 2400 items from the BBC. I would say at a rough estimate that I click through on say 1-2 stories a day from the BBC and I'm content with the headlines for the rest. That basically works out as reading 2.5% of the stories. It'd be awesome if I could pull that stat out of Reader Trends but you can not, or at least I haven't figured out how to.



Subscription# Read% Read
As you can see from the table below, of the 20 items I shared 9 were comics, basically I like to spread the laughter.


Subscription# Shared


What's Missing from Trends?
So after using Reader for about a month now I think I've gotten used to it quirks and while writing this I've noticed that there are a few things that I'd like to see included in Trends.

  1. Number of articles that I have clicked through to view on the website, or where I have selected to play an embedded video or similar. This would be awesome for the BBC which only has headlines and abstracts in its feed.
  2. Number of articles "read" where in this case read is displayed long enough in the browser to actually skim read the contents not just the title/abstract.
  3. Time spent reading a feed. Obviously there are some challenges with this one, but for the feeds that show all the contents in reader this would be a good estimate of actual reading of the feed. You could possibly even show average time in each item.
Now, I'm not conceited enough to think that anyone with power will actually read this but I think they'd be cool features and I'm sure you could harness that information to enhance advertising etc that is embedded in feeds.

1 comment:

  1. ezTalks is the world's leading online video conferencing provider that enables you to connect with people anywhere and anytime. Integrated with HD video conferencing, audio conferencing, screen sharing, content sharing, remote control and other powerful features, it can be widely applied to all industries
    google online meeting
    facetime share screen
    conference meaning

    ReplyDelete