Monday, May 24, 2010

MacBook vs MacBookPro?

Uh oh, if you saw my earlier post "Should I buy in Australia or in the USA?" you would know I was all set on purchasing a Mac Book Pro, now with the new line of Mac Books, I'm thinking I'd be better off getting one of them and chucking a bit more memory into it.

So the question is whether the extra stuff you get with a Mac Book Pro is really worth it. Here is what you get.


  1. Display: SAME
  2. Processor: SAME
  3. Graphics: SAME
  4. Memory: 2Gb Standard versus 4Gb. Would cost $140 to upgrade to 4Gb.
  5. BatterySAME
  6. Hard Drive: SAME
  7. Optical Drive: SAME
  8. Ports: Two USB ports versus Two USB ports and a Firewire Port and an SD slot
  9. Wireless: SAME
  10. Ethernet: SAME
  11. Keyboard: Normal keyboard versus back lit keyboard.
  12. Case: Polycarbonate versus Aluminium
  13. Size: Slightly larger versus slightly smaller.
  14. Weight: 90g. Slightly heavier (2.13kg) versus slightly lighter (2.04kg).
  15. Price: $1249 ($1389) versus $1499

So basically are those differences worth the extra $110?

I'm not sure. I'm not going to be carrying it around too much (couch surfing FTW!) so weight probably isn't a big factor. Back lit keyboard is kind of cool (especially for the aforementioned couch surfing!). Who uses Firewire? Not me.
Does anyone know the differences in case longevity?
Does the Aluminum case cool better?


2 comments:

  1. Unless I'm using Firewire in some sort of building demolition capacity I'm not really interested.....

    ReplyDelete