Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Hackendesk!

I'm cheap.

There I've said it. I'd like to clarify a bit. It's not that I am cheap so much as I don't like spending money unnecessarily.

What's the difference?

Well I'd like to think quite a bit. How about an example, I moved to Melbourne less than a year ago into a brand new townhouse, which was one of three. The house is awesome and had a colour theme and style designed by a highly acclaimed architect/interior designer. We (my girlfriend and I) moved the entirety of our not particularly large collection of furniture into the house and don't mind the fact that the antique sideboard acquired cheaply at auction a while doesn't really fit in. We needed some "new" furniture, for instance, we didn't have a coffee table so we procured one from a shed that was being cleared out for the princely sum of nothing.

On the other hand, another of the townhouses went to someone else in a similar position to me, not much cash, bunch of furniture that had followed him around. But he went out and got all new furniture, new couches, dinning table, stools etc etc.

This struck me as a unwarranted, sure I would've like a new couch but that can wait a bit and the old one fits in quite nicely and still functions perfectly and sure I could've bought a new coffee table but why spend the cash when I could get one that was good for free!

This brings me to the desk, we picked up a freebie, but really it wasn't big enough for our desking needs. It fitted  my desktop PC but not much else. So we needed more desk space, there were a couple of options.

  • Buy a new desk and get rid of the small one.
  • Buy a new desk and cram it in next to the old one.
  • Build the Hackendesk!
Clearly, the only logical choice was "The Hackendesk!"

What's "The Hackendesk!" I hear you ask?

Well its quite simple really. Its a big plank of wood (in my case a piece of MDF with a lovely white laminate) and a couple of legs, some left over pine and the too small desk.

This is where the photo would go but I haven't actually taken it yet.....

Simple really and it works a treat! With only an our or so of screwing and nailing (I'm thinking I over engineered it) it came together and for less than $50 (plus an excuse to wonder around Bunnings for a while) it was well worth it.

In the end cheapness does pay off occasionally. And with the savings I am a step closer to resolving MacBook vs MacBookPro?

1 comment:

  1. Hackendesk, sounds good.. unlike the Mac arguement

    You can let the noobs fight it out over there.. oh wait.. you're over there..

    noob!

    ReplyDelete