Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Unboxing my new Mac Book Pro :D

I'm not going to post a whole heap of pictures there are plenty of other unboxings out there on the interwebz for you all to find. I just wanted to point out a few things that I thought where cool with my shiney new Apple MacBook Pro. Firstly, I'll just say,

"Wow"
This thing looks awesome, the screen is bigger than I thought it would be and I'm glad I got the high-res antiglare version the clarity is great and I can fit a whole lot of stuff on the stuff on the screen at once. Which for me is great as I work with dual 24 inch screens at work and always struggle when I have to go back to less screens. (I've been afflicted like this for a while, ever since I found an old PCI video card back in the day and had a 17 in Trinitron and an 'awesome' 14 in fish bowl CRT hooked up at home, going back to one screen even with more res just doesn't seem as good. Although the new shortcuts in Windows 7/Server 2008 are awesome (half screen etc)). Also, I'm loving the back lit keyboard, it looks schmick, although it must be said there seems to be enough room to put in a number pad. Not that you really need one and its probably better than squeezing it in like they do on some other laptops and sacrificing key size or usability.

I've always admired Apples sense of design (although as we can see it has apparently affected the reception on the iPhone 4, you can read my take on that here) but still, they pursue form and usability to an almost insane degree, both in their hardware and their software. They even put a lot of effort into their packaging, in the past they have won design awards for this.

Again, I'm impressed by their package design, first when you open the case you notice a large piece of foam stuck to the top of the box that protects the top of the laptop and holds it in place in the box, the second, which I admit is a total wank is the little popup tab that says "Designed by Apple in California".


It is a wank, but it makes sure that you all know who designed this beast and where, also it serves as a tab to allow the easy removal of the computer from the plastic that is holding it in.

A few things will obviously take some getting used to, the one mouse button thing and getting back into the feel of Expose and the dock, its been a while since I used OS X. On another note this could be my last update for a while as I am off to New York for a friends wedding and a two week holiday. While I'm there I think the first purchase on my list will be a case, something like this one.
Speck MacBook Pro 15" See-Thru Hard Case - RED
Which still allows full access to everything but'll prevent me from denting the case, especially behind the screen. Thankfully I'll have some cash back after gertting my GST refund from the friendly folks at Australian customs (there is more info on that in an earlier post)

No comments:

Post a Comment