Thursday, July 29, 2010

Continuous Newbie Gains

I've developed a new weight lifting methodology, which I call "Continuous Newbie Gains" or CNG for short. This methodology I have progressively refined over the past several winters and is actually an off shoot from Winter Wall Syndrome which I discussed a while back.

The basic premise for CNG is as follows:
  1. Get enthusiastic about going to the gym.
  2. Start going to the gym regularly and strictly following schedule etc.
  3. Experience all the loveliness that accompanies starting fresh at the gym, the excessive DOMS and the all the Newbie gains that can be had.
  4. Get distracted, get a cold, get injured playing rugby, lose focus, go away on holidays etc
  5. Stop going to gym regularly.
  6. Miss a few sessions here and there.
  7. Suddenly realize that you haven't been to the gym in a month.
  8. Decide that you need to get back into it.
  9. Return to step 1.
I realized as I walked to the gym to shower after my morning ride today that this is pretty much how I operate over winter. And apparently I find its a great way to get to the gym in the cooler months.

No comments:

Post a Comment