Thursday, April 15, 2010

Stupid Wifi Key too hard to type in your iPhone? Use Enterprise Configuration Utility

So I've finally joined the Jobian masses and switched over to an iPhone. I'll start by going out there and saying I haven't become a massive fan boi or anything, its just that my phone was on its last legs and my better half wasn't using her Old School iPhone anymore. So now I have upgraded from my crappy N73 complete with non-functioning volume control requiring use of loudspeaker to hear a normal conversation, thus ensuring the entire room at work knows whatever I'm talking about, to an old school, original release iPhone. This does bring some disadvantages, OS 4 won't be supported when it comes out for example.

Anyway, the point of this post wasn't to inform you all that I've changed phones it was to introduce a handy tool that Apple has put together for enterprise iPhone configuration, that tool is the iPhone Configuration Utility, available from the Apple iPhone Enterprise Support page.

This tool was a life saver for me at work. I haven't gotten around to switching to a better mobile data plan so I'm avoiding data usage at all costs, so I need to be on a Wifi Connection to checkout anything. This is all well and good at home where I have a simple Wifi key but here at work its a pain in the arse because the Wifi key is in 64 bit HEX form. After a couple of failed attempts at entering the key manually I googled around for a better option and stumbled across this awesome tool. It lets you configure pretty much every setting item. You simply go through the menus in the app and then connect iPhone via USB cable and apply the config.

In fact I think downloading, installing and figuring out how to use the app was quicker than attempting to manually enter the key again.

No comments:

Post a Comment