Tuesday, September 21, 2010

THE HARDY BOYS THE FINAL CHAPTER. . .


I recently rediscovered my youth. It made me sneeze.

This is an awesome editorial on the the Hardy BoysTHE HARDY BOYS THE FINAL CHAPTER. . . it turns out that the author of the original 21 books despised them and wrote better prose when complaining in his diary than he did in the books themselves.

But you know what as an 8, 9, 10 year old it didn't matter to me one iota, I enjoyed reading them, I recall being curled up in bed reading them 'til the wee hours of the morning. A couple of years ago when I moved house I rediscovered one of the old books and, like the author I was a little disappointed by the books, but you know what? I still read the thing cover to cover before going to bed.

So despite the fact that the author despised the books and had little control over the content, he needed the pay cheque, and banged out 21 of the books to get the cash. The only thing that maintained his sanity was the fact that he wasn't allowed to tell anyone that he wrote them.

Anyway, if you enjoyed reading Hardy Boys as a kid you'll enjoy the article linked above.

No comments:

Post a Comment