Friday, August 27, 2010

Lets hold another election so that I can vote for these guys!

The missing party in Australian politics:
"My vote - and I suspect the votes of many others - would lie with a new party, headed by the likes of Turnbull or Rudd (although not necessarily them), that is truly of the 21st century. This would be a party that embraces the market, although believes in regulation to prevent exploitation by employers and big business. It would believe in sustainability and climate change, yet would encourage innovation and enterprise to solve these problems. It would be tolerant of cultural diversity, comfortable with same-sex marriage and strongly secular. It would believe that the government plays a crucial role in society, and that we need to pay sufficient tax for it to execute that role effectively, but government should be only as big as necessary and as small as possible. Moreover, the party wouldn't be tied to unions or the church."

This is an excerpt from an article in The Drum that someone just sent to me and I must say it appeals greatly to me. I find my self displeased with both Liberal and Labor and a new party that targets other like minded people could be a great success. I see the Greens attempting to fashion themselves as the funky party for the youth etc, but their extremism is their downfall, environmentalism needs to be balanced against the fiscal realities of the world. Perhaps if they tempered some of their views and policies they would become the political party for the under 40s.

No comments:

Post a Comment